Friday, November 03, 2006

Backs are important too (as well as Backups)

We have been hard at work for nearly 4 weeks (very intense) and the strain is starting to tell. Vince is having trouble with his lower back, he was really in pain today, poor boy. Not that he makes a fuss, he is a tough cookie, but you can tell. Anyway he shares the problem with us, of course. I know what he is talkin about - I had many years of severe sciatic pain, which I was finally able to cure with the help of my Alexander Technique teacher and my Pilates teacher, both of whom I thank from my heart for freeing me from pain. Of course I work hard at being pain free too. I take the responsibility of Lessons and Classes. When I am in London I try to have one Alexander Lesson a week and 3 or 4 hours of Pilates. And I use my Aeron chair. These things all help me. Those who know me and my working habits know how I obsess about getting the right table and the right chair for my work, and these things have not been perfect here. I cannot over emphasise the importance of posture and "good use", especially for the computer users amongst us. Get it right as early in life as possible, and this will help avoid problems later. Love to all.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

as someone who has spent their life playing soccer (football), now working at a desk with a computer all day certainly has had an effect on my back. more often than not, lower back pain is also tied in to hamstring strength. make vince go for a bike ride with you. lots of pirate jokes on a bike ride can be refreshing... < br/>
seriously, though, keep up the good work on the blog and on the record. having built a promotional DVD last year, i can only IMAGINE the shocking amount of work that you have done and will do. < br/>
thanks for the blog, the great work, and for enjoying Maine while you work.

The life and times of a clinical year PA-S said...

Vincent, get thee to the Chiroprac tor! Find a good one and you'll be happy you did.

Anonymous said...

and a cool grand for an aeron for my work? put it in the budget for next year baby! of course i am a type B. always punished for being a strapping young lad...

Anonymous said...

Get well soon wishes to Vince!! I've actually found Yoga being more helpful against lower back pain than pillates - and yes, a chiropractic can also do wonders!

Urinemysoup said...

Don't throw your backs out on us now, Vince. Please go back out and lie down in a hammock (Only after a peek of sunshine comes through though) and relax a bit.=D